HP Insight Control Storage and Server Module for vCenter is plug-in for vCenter Server that allows HP storage arrays to be managed from a single pane of glass that is integrated into the vSphere client.
Available at no cost from HP, the plug-in can be installed once for the entire vCenter environment using a single, all-inclusive installer.
Let’s take a look at the storage component of this plugin, some of the key features as part of this component are:
- Monitoring the status and health of HP storage arrays
- Automated provisioning of datastores and VMs– Adding, removing, and expanding datastores on the fly
- Creating VM from templates on new datastores
- Using array-based snapshot and snap clone technologies to clone VMs, tapping into VAAI primitives essentially which speeds up operational tasks
- Common provisioning and removal tasks.
- Datastore mapping information
And yes, its supported with VMware vSphere 5.1 and from a storage stand point the following HP arrays:
- HP 3PAR StoreServ Storage
- HP MSA Storage
- HP StoreVirtual Storage including the Virtual SAN Appliance
- HP EVA Storage
- HP XP Storage
- HP StoreOnce Backup appliance
So what it gives you is true and fruitful information on your server farm. I was going to add some screenshots of the GUI here but my lab has temporarily taken a holiday so unable to run it up right now.
The good thing is, these two modules (server and storage) is bundled in one installation package and is very easy to install, for customers running HP BladeSystem and any of our major storage arrays (3PAR, StoreVirtual VSA/Appliance, MSA, EVA and XP) .